[SOLVED] First file backup failed

Hi,
I recently started a 500GB+, 13 hour backup of my home folder and all of the Windows components. When it reached 100%, I got these errors:

Server:

INFO     Waiting for file hashing and copying threads...
WARNING  Error removing temporary directory "Q:\urbackup\laptop\170526-0054\.b68xO+K9SCOF35cLk4Bf9Q". The directory is not empty. (code: 145)
INFO     Writing new file list...
DEBUG    Some metadata was missing
ERROR    Fatal error during backup. Backup not completed
INFO     Transferred 532.301 GB - Average speed: 93.9214 MBit/s
DEBUG    Script does not exist urbackup\post_incr_filebackup.bat
ERROR    FATAL: Backup failed because of disk problems (see previous messages)
INFO     Time taken for backing up client laptop: 13h 35m 29s
ERROR    Backup failed

Client:

Scanning for changed hard links on volume of "c:\"...
Following symbolic link at "C:\Users\All Users" to "C:\ProgramData" confirms symlink backup target ".symlink_ProgramData" to "C:\ProgramData"
Indexing of "Users" done. 132 filesystem lookups 56564 db lookups and 112 db updates
laptop: Loading file list...
laptop: Calculating file tree differences...
laptop: Indexing file entries from last backup...
laptop: Calculating tree difference size...
laptop: Linking unchanged and loading new files...
Filename "C:" contains ':' which the operating system does not allow in paths. Replacing ':' with '_' and appending hash.
Error opening file "\\?\Q:\urbackup\laptop\170526-0054\.b68xO+K9SCOF35cLk4Bf9Q\150465" for reading file. File: temp_fn. Access is denied. (code: 5) Target path: "Q:\urbackup\laptop\170526-0054\Users\me\Downloads\dfsetup219 (1).exe"
Error opening file "\\?\Q:\urbackup\laptop\170526-0054\.b68xO+K9SCOF35cLk4Bf9Q\150466" for reading file. File: temp_fn. Access is denied. (code: 5) Target path: "Q:\urbackup\laptop\170526-0054\Users\me\Downloads\dfsetup219.exe"
Waiting for file transfers...
Waiting for file hashing and copying threads...
Error removing temporary directory "Q:\urbackup\laptop\170526-0054\.b68xO+K9SCOF35cLk4Bf9Q". The directory is not empty. (code: 145)
Writing new file list...
Fatal error during backup. Backup not completed
Transferred 532.301 GB - Average speed: 93.9214 MBit/s
FATAL: Backup failed because of disk problems (see previous messages)
Time taken for backing up client laptop: 13h 35m 29s
Backup failed

What caused this issue? Is it a permissions issue? Does having an issue copying two files really fail the entire backup? There were no other errors or warnings or issues in the log. Is it possible for me to salvage this backup? Of course, the files are on the backup drive, but they aren’t attached to UrBaclup.

Thanks!

UrBackup Client 2.1.16
UrBackup Server 2.1.19
Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 Build 14393.1198
Server and Client on same machine, backing up to USB3 Western Digital MyBook

Hi…
Even i am getting the same error.
My UrBackup server version is 2.0.38 on CentOS 7
My UrBackup client version is 2.0.36 on W2k8 R2

Surely there’s a better way to resolve this than just deleting those files and running the backup again. I checked them and they have the same permissions as anything else in the folder.

You’ll have to fix the reason why you get an access denied error. The UrBackup server behavior won’t be changed.

Seems kinda harsh that on a 13 hours backup, it s considered failled because of 2 files.
As i remember backupc has a notion that the last backup can be “partial” and is removed as soon as a backup is ok.

@uroni Yes, the issue isn’t that UrBackup had an issue with the files. That was my fault. However, there surely must be some mechanism to pause a backup at that point and prompt for a retry as opposed to failing 13 hours worth of backup.

Are you saying that if I start another backup that it will only backup incrementally still and then remove the failed parts?

In case of backuppc ? I think that at the next occurrence, it will try the same type of backup (full/inc), if the last backup was partial. Need to double check the doc/forums on this.

In case of yourbackup, tell me how it works in your case. But if the last backup is failled, i dont think you can find it the web ui.

Interrupted backups are resumed. In then says “Resumed full/incremental file backup”. But not in cases where there are hard disk io errors or temporary file access errors on the server or other unusual errors.

So can I safely remove all of the folders inside my UrBackup folder on my external harddrive and start from scratch again?

So I ran remove_unknown.bat as well as entirely deleted the client’s folder on the backup drive, and I deleted the files causing issues from the client’s machine. I successfully backed up (this time I shaved off about 100 GB, so much faster too)! When I woke up, it had already even done one incremental backup.

Thanks!