File backup questions

UrBackup looks like a great solution, so I configured a test environment of a server and client (with corresponding UrBackup user accts) using virtual machines to learn about it.
I’m seeing some major issues (surprisingly) so I wanted to make sure it is not user error.

A couple of issues with File backup restore…

1. On the server (or client) web interface, go to Backups, select the client machine - observe the last incremental backup says 70.56MB. Click that backup, click ‘download folder as ZIP’ - observe it is 580MB! Why is this?

2. On the client web interface, go to Backups, select the client machine, select last last incremental backup (this puts me at File “C”), click Restore button. After the restore is done, I check a file on the desktop I had changed before the restore - the file was not restore to a previous version. Why is this? I would expect all of “C” to be restored. Also note that a new file I created was deleted, which is inconsistent with the old file not being restored.
    I can drill down into the backup and successfully restore the one file on the desktop.

3. On the client web interface, go to Backups, select the client machine, select last last incremental backup, drill down into the file structure and observe the file ‘last modified’ times. Most are not changed, so why are they in the incremental backups?

4. On the client web interface, go to Backups, select the client machine, select last last incremental backup (this puts me at File “C”), click ‘restore folder to client’ - I get a dialog that seems to be missing some text (" ?"):
    [Window Title]
    UrBackup - Allow restore

[Content]
Are you sure you want to restore the files in ? Existing files in this folder will be overwritten. Files created within the selected folder since the backup will be deleted. When in doubt please cancel and run a file backup before proceeding.

[OK] [Cancel]

Justin

It shows an estimate of the new storage used for the incremental backup and you are downloading a snapshot of the data.

Hmm, can you have a look at the log of the restore? (On the server in Logs or on the client Logs) My guess is the restore failed. I tried to reproduce the issue and there seem to be issues with symbolic links on Windows UrBackup Servers which would occur if you are trying to file restore a whole volume (after the first error it stops restoring).

It should show the same last modified time as in e.g. the explorer, not the time it was backed up. UrBackup always backups point in time snapshots and that is what you are shown, not the incremental differences to the last backup. This issue comes up quite often in the forums if you search for it. For example last in Incremental file backups left without full file backup? .

Thanks for the heads up… this seems to be an issue with the top level “folder”. If you click on restore next to “C” it’ll show correctly.

The only error the log shows is:
Errors
08/15/19 14:07
Error while downloading files during restore
Info
Restore failed.

There are many warnings about deleting MS packages, e.g.:
Warnings
Error deleting file “C:\Users\ct\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active{C4897E41-95A9-44C3-AB2C-E95459701F79}.dat”. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (code: 32)