Feature Request: Installer package for Mac client

I’ve found that some of my users have difficulty installing the Mac Client on their own. They are used to double-clicking on a .pkg or dragging and dropping an installer file. I would love to be able to provide the .sh as a Mac installer package but so far my research has shown applications that let me create that from a Mac for a Mac but not anything that would let me create it on a Linux (or Windows) host for a Mac.

Anyone else run across something that might help with this?

-S

You have seen the pkg on the download page (the .sh installer wrapps that pkg…)?

There are several obstacles to having client-specific pkgs:

• The pkg should be signed with a developer certificate (otherwise the users won’t be able to install it either because of gatekeeper)
  • Making/modifying pkgs is difficult on other OSs (as you did notice)

The most straightforward solution is probably having a mac with a web service building those pkgs and signing them afterwards upon request. And one needs to pay Apple for the developer certificate.

Hi Uroni! Yes, I saw that but of course I’ve just been working on the 2.1.x testing. It does now occur to me since you’ve pointed that out that once 2.1.x is in general release that I could instruct users to dl the package and then send them these instructions provided at client creation time.

Alternatively after you installed the client from: UrBackup - Download UrBackup for Windows, GNU/Linux or FreeBSD

Go to the settings screen on the client
Enable the internet mode on the client
Set the internet server to: backup.xyz.org
Set the internet server port to: 55415
Set the computer name to: abc
Set the authentication key to: secret_key

So, as always, thanks for the pointer!

S