Failure to backup files and no error recorded

Urbackup failed to backup 3 small files in my somewhat large directory, most were fine and the file compare was good, just 3 files missing. I was running client 2.3.4 on windows 10.

I checked the original files and found they had damaged security info, the first line was for “Deny NULL SID Special”. Two of the files complained about permissions incorrectly ordered and started with the same NULL SID line. I assume this was the cause of the files being skipped on backup BUT…

There was no record of a failure in the backup log. I can’t see a reference to the files in debug.log either.

I feel an error should be recorded if a file is skipped.

I was not aware the ACLs were faulty because I can read the files despite the odd permissions.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I can see where errors may get ignored on Windows when listing files. This will be fixed with the next client version.

The question is, if this would fix your problem? You seem to have no problem listing the directory… Could you check if the files are listed in "C:\Program Files\UrBackup\urbackup\data\filelist.ub" ?

The files are listed in filelist.ub

The entries from separate sections of the file are:
f"jp_test.pl" 998 48154937000
f"Cloud_PFStructure_1.xml" 8760990 52459110848
f"Legacy_PFStructure_1.xml" 131519358 52459116040

I have noticed another omission from the backup under C:\Users\Public\Documents
A directory Hewlett-Packard containing a single file is missing. The filelist.ub shows:
d"Documents" 0 49695184288
f"desktop.ini" 278 49695183768
d"Hewlett-Packard" 0 55777609096
f"UserSid.ini" 104 55777615160
u

The ACLs for these entries show in icacls as:
\Users\Phil\Documents\development\backupc\jp_test.pl
NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,REA,X,DC)
MYDOMAIN\phil:(F)
MYDOMAIN\phil:(RX,W)
MYDOMAIN\Domain Users:(RX)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX,W)
Everyone:(RX)

\Users\Phil\Documents\office365\check\Cloud_PFStructure_1.xml
NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,X,DC)
MYDOMAIN\phil:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(DENY)(S,X)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(DENY)(S,X)
MYDOMAIN\Domain Users:(R )
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX,W)
Everyone:(R )x

\Users\Phil\Documents\office365\check\Legacy_PFStructure_1.xml
NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,X,DC)
MYDOMAIN\phil:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(DENY)(S,X)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(DENY)(S,X)
MYDOMAIN\Domain Users:(R )
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX,W)
Everyone:(R )

\Users\Public\Documents\Hewlett-Packard
BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(OI)(CI)(F)
CREATOR OWNER:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(OI)(CI)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE:(I)(OI)(CI)(M,DC)
NT AUTHORITY\SERVICE:(I)(OI)(CI)(M,DC)
NT AUTHORITY\BATCH:(I)(OI)(CI)(M,DC)

\Users\Public\Documents\Hewlett-Packard\UserSid.ini
BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE:(I)(M,DC)
NT AUTHORITY\SERVICE:(I)(M,DC)
NT AUTHORITY\BATCH:(I)(M,DC)

Ok, I admit I am totally lost.

I checked the directory on my debian server that holds the backups and the missing files are there.

They also now show in the web interface but I could swear I checked that yesterday and they were missing.

I am sure they did not restored in place when I tried yesterday after a mishap with a stray “delete far too much”. I moved my profile out of the way, restored in place then moved the profile back and checked for missing files. That is how I found files missing from the restore.

Today I did a restore via zip and they are in the zip archive.

Maybe it has problems restoring the ACL (security info)? In this case it would only give (elevated) admins access.

Depending on how you start the restore/create the ZIP file it also only restores files that the user is allowed to access (if you start the restore from “Access/restore backups”).

Yes, that sounds like the answer, I think I started the first restore from the taskbar icon logged in as my user account.

If I want to restore the full backup should it be requested while logged into the web as a urbackup administrator?

Yes, then it will restore everything. I am also thinking about elevating it per default, or having a “Access/restore backups (as administrator)”…

I definitely vote +1 for such a change, probably the (as administrator) option, since it also covers cases where non-admins are restoring things they can access. But either suits my own use-case :smiley: