Can Windows updates be injected into existing UrBackup images?

Hello, all. I have tried and failed to find this information on my own, so my apologies if this is in the documentation.

I would like to be able to take an image of a preconfigured Windows 10 Pro workstation and use it as a “standard deployment” in my environment. What I’m wondering is this: is there a way for updates, specifically Microsoft updates, to be merged with an existing UrBackup image?

In other words, can I roll subsequent Windows updates into an old, preexisting UrBackup image, so when that image is used to deploy to new hardware, the newer updates are already installed? I don’t know if this is even theoretically possible, but it’d be a really nice feature, if so.

Thank you!

I don’t know of a way to update an image that’s resident on your UrBackup server, but you can certainly slipstream updates to an image with DISM. There may be other tools available for this as well, but I have no experience with any of them.

I was thinking of leaving a clean image on my UrBackup server as a baseline image, but the continuous churn of Windows Updates talked me out of it.

You’re mostly running into a problem if you don’t prepare your raw images with sysprep as @Jason_Marsh states. But you may want to look at the WSUS Offline Update - that’s what I use to do the initial patching when there is no windows update server in place.