Backups failing (Cannot create Directory)

@uroni, I have multiple clients failing with the error of:

Cannot create Directory for backup (Server error)

This is on server version 1.4.13 running on Server 2012R2. This is the same machine that is still enforcing quotas that it should not be, if that helps.

Could be that it really fails to create the backupfolder\clientname\160328-XXXX folder.

1.4.14 should fix the quota problem.

Hmmmmm, I suppose it is possible, but why? Nothing has changed with the server though. I updated to 1.4.14 to see if it helps. Hopefully it also takes care of the quota issues as you had said. Much appreciated sir.

I still have backups failing. Now I am getting errors like:

Error opening file… “D:\Client Backups*redacted*\160331-0816\Scans\Faxes\Radiographs*redacted*.TIF”
Errors
31.03.16 08:27
Error copying file to destination -3
Errors
Error opening file… “D:\Client Backups*redacted*\160331-0816.hashes\Scans\Faxes\Radiographs*redacted*.TIF”
Errors
Error copying hashfile to destination -3
Errors
Error opening file… “D:\Client Backups*redacted*\160331-0816\Scans\Faxes\Radiographs*redacted*.TIF”
Errors
Error copying file to destination -3
Errors
Error opening file… “D:\Client Backups*redacted*\160331-0816.hashes\Scans\Faxes\Radiographs*redacted*.TIF”
Errors
Error copying hashfile to destination -3
Errors
Creating directory “D:\Client Backups*redacted*\160331-0816\Scans\Faxes\Referrals” failed. - errorcode=2
Errors
Error creating temporary file ‘fd’ in load_file
Errors
Client redacted went offline.
Errors
31.03.16 08:28
Fatal error during backup. Backup not completed
Errors
31.03.16 08:28
Backup failed

Could you run it in sysinternals process monitor during failure and send me that?

Sure thing. How extensive of a capture are you wanting?

Thanks, the log you sent me only contains the “Cannot create directory for backup” error, correct?

That one returns ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT. You might want to run a full chkdsk (with /R). Maybe there is also more information in the system log.

1 Like

I will try that for an easy fix. We had some power issues here the other day due to storms, I should check my UPSs. Doing a chkdsk on reboot right now.

8 hours in and I am at 4% complete on chkdsk.

I think I might switch to Linux. What distro do you recommend for running UrBackup? I am pretty familiar with Ubuntu Server, but I am open to a change.

UrBackup has packages for pretty much all popular Linux distributions now, so that should not be a selection criterion.
The more important question is what kind of filesystem to use for backup storage. You probably want one that detects corruption. And since ReFS does have features like hard links yet…

UrBackup works best with btrfs but that requires hand-holding in case it gets stuck and the RAID levels still have problems which make them unusable. http://rockstor.com/ should give you a nice GUI and reasonable kernel versions.

ZFS is more mature, but depending on the hardware the FreeBSD implementation might cause less issues overall. There http://www.freenas.org/ gives you a nice GUI.

You could also look into using ZFS (i.e. FreeNAS) only as iSCSI target and connecting to that from Windows. That way you can continue to use NTFS offline dedup while ZFS (zvol) handles the compression and software raid with corruption detection.

A post was split to a new topic: ReFS and hard links