1.4.8 server client update problem

Hi. I have again problem with client automatic update.
Server version: 1.4.8
Client version: 1.4.7.
Problem: client automatic update to 1.4.8 version.

I downloaded manually client files as always from http://sourceforge.net/projects/urbackup/files/Client/1.4.8/update/. Copied it to C:\Program Files\UrBackupServer\urbackup folder but clients are not updating despite checked “Autoupdate clients:” option.
Thank you in advance with your help.

did you uninstall 1.4.7 completly ?

i had the same issue so i did it manually by uninstalling the old version and installing latest version

I know i can reinstall client manually by uninstalling 1.4.7 version. But that’s not the point. I have over 120 clients PC’s in my network. I need it to be done automatically (push from serwer).

Can you try and download the client from the web interface, to see if that works.
If yes check if one of the clients downloaded the client update from the server (file C:\Program Files\UrBackup\UrBackupUpdate.exe is identical to the one on the server). After that the contents of C:\Program Files\UrBackup\debug.log would be interesting.

Hi. Thnx for your quick answer. Ok i deleted client downloaded manually and set server to automatically download client from Urbackup Srv gui. Setting like on the picture:

Server downloaded client automatically but no update occurred on any client.
In the meaning time i have a feature request, if it will be possible to do. It would be great to have possibility to chose version of the client for automatic installation from the web panel.
Smth like:

I understand it can be hard to create. But please consider it ;).

Silent update is enabled?

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I had to test it for a while. At first silent updates were not enabled. Then i enabled this option but nothing changed. I’ve waited for a few days but no new updated clients showied on the administration web page.

Can you check on one of the client if the silent update setting correctly propagated to the client.

It is in C:\Program Files\UrBackup\urbackup\data\settings.cfg (silent_update_def and silent_update).

silent_update=true
silent_update_def=true

Clients still not updating. Is there something else for me to check?

No idea anymore. At this point it just executes UrBackupUpdate.exe /S as the SYSTEM user. Could be something blocks that installation (Virus scanner etc.). You could try and run it without the silent switch as SYSTEM user with srvany (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/137890 ) though I remember some problems with that approach.

Of course you should also try running UrBackupUpdate.exe on a client as administrator if you haven’t already. Maybe that already exposes the problem.

I’ve run UrBackupUpdate.exe as admin on one of the client and it worked well. Update was already downloaded on the client. It got updated to 1.4.8 version.
On another client i have this in debug.log:
2015-04-15 07:49:08: WARNING: Parent of file with FRN 12666373952192832 (Name “APCSettings.txt”) with FRN 2814749767132737 not found. Searching via MFT as fallback.
2015-04-15 07:49:09: WARNING: Parent directory not found in MFT. Was probably deleted.
Can this create problems with uprdate?

Probably not.

Maybe you can watch the failed update via Process Monitor.

To get an update:

• Stop the client. Wait at least 5min.
  • Start the client. Wait 3min.

It looks like nothing happens.

It creates files on disk and than nothing

What process should invoke UrBackupUpdate.exe (UrbackupClientBackend.exe?) and in what time - directly after download?
Or maybe UrBackupUpdate.sig file is not correct?

Yes, UrBackupClientBackend.exe exacly 2min after it renames UrBackupClient_untested.exe to UrBackupClient.exe.

In that case it would not rename it from UrBackupClient_untested.exe to UrBackupClient.exe.

I can’t see “UrBackupClient_untested.exe” anywhere. Please can you explain me how update process works step by step? Maybe it will be easier to find the problem.

You can kind of put it together from this thread…

1. Client sends it version to the server
  2. If the server has a client with higher version it sends the version as version_new.txt, the signature file as UrBackupUpdate.sig and the update installer as UrBackupUpdate_untested.exe to the client.
  3. If the client does not find the update installer hash in updates_h.dat and if the signature of UrBackupUpdate_untested.exe fits to UrBackupUpdate.sig and urbackup_dsa.pub it renames UrBackupUpdate_untested.exe to UrBackupUpdate.exe
  4. If the server sent the update should be silent it calls UrBackupUpdate.exe /S after waiting 2min

I just checked and found out that the server sends if the update should be silent or not, and the setting saved at the client is irrelevant. Can you check if the “silent update” setting is checked if you go to the client settings on the server?

If yes, we should be able to see if this is correctly sent during the update by looking at a debug level client logfile.

Yes this option was set. But updates did not work. Then for test i unselected it. I can enable this option again and check. Please remind me where to check debug level client log file?

With newer versions running C:\Program Files\UrBackup\enable_debug_logging.bat should be enough. C:\Program Files\UrBackup\debug.log then has the relevant messages.

I just thought that if the client is restarted within the 2min (reboot), that it then does not retry the install. Could that be the cause of the issue?

Same if you did not have the siltent update enabled when the server first sent the update to the clients. (It does not retry then…)